Tuesday, July 6, 2010
WATER MELON GRANITA
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 3 tbsp water
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 8 cups coarsely chopped seedless watermelon
* 2 tsp finely grated lime or lemon peel (optional
Tasted this wonderful concoction a couple of weeks ago at Bible Study. Looking for something fairly easy,yet incredibly refreshing? (and I fear, incredibly addictive) Give this ice, cool and pretty desert a try tonight!
(makes approx 5 cups)
1. Combine sugar, water and salt in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir frequently until mixture starts to bubble and sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Place half the watermelon cubes in a blender or food processor. Whirl until no chunks remain. Pour into a 9x13-inch (3-L) baking dish. Pour sugar mixture into food processor and add remaining watermelon. Whirl until no chunks remain. Pour into baking dish. Add peel. Stir to evenly mix. Cover pan with plastic wrap.
3. Freeze until ice crystals form at edges in pan, about 40 minutes. Using a fork, scrape and stir to evenly distribute ice crystals. Repeat every 40 minutes until frozen, about 2 1/2 to 3 more hours. Using a fork or spoon, scrape granita down length of pan, forming icy flakes. Spoon into bowls and serve. Granita will keep well, covered and frozen, up to 5 days.
My friend, Judy, who served this delicious stuff served it over vanilla ice cream. Everyone there was just crazy about it. I'm here to tell you---its FAB all by itself too!
REJOICE IN THE LORD ALWAYS AGAIN I SAY REJOICE!